Jane, Mary Childs (1909 - 1991)
Genre: Children's Literature, Young Adult
Children's mystery writer Mary Childs Jane was born in Needham, Massachusetts, and graduated from Bridgewater State Teachers College in Massachusetts in 1931.
Before her marriage to William Jane in 1937, she taught in Pippapon, Kentucky (1931-1932), Chester, Massachusetts (1932-1935), and Needham, Massachusetts (1935-1937). She was a long-time resident of Newcastle, Maine.
Jane was for several years president of the Poetry Fellowship of Maine.
Jane's specialty was writing mysteries for middle school age children. She knew, from her teaching experience, that many reluctant readers can be lead to reading with mysteries.
- Mystery in Old Quebec (1955)
- The Ghost Rock Mystery (1956)
- Mystery at Pemaquid Point (1957)
- Mystery at Shadow Pond (1958), set in Maine.
- Mystery on Echo Ridge (1959)
- Mystery Back of the Mountain (1960)
- Mystery at Dead End Farm (1961)
- Mystery Behind Dark Windows (1962)
- Mystery by Moonlight (1963)
- Mystery in Longfellow Square (1964)
- Indian Island Mystery (1965)
- The Dark Tower Mystery (1966)
- Mystery on Nine-Mile Marsh (1967)
- Mystery of the Red Carnations (1968)
- The Rocking-Chair Ghost (1969)
- Mystery in Hidden Hollow (1970)