Reference & Research Services
- Maine State Resources/Special Collections
- Maine resources are collected by the State Library. State town and county histories, town reports, state government documents, maps and other materials designed to provide comprehensive coverage of Maine history and government are available.
The primary collection focus of the State Library is the acquisition of books and materials about Maine and by Maine authors. State and town histories, as well as family histories, are well represented in the general collection.
- MARVEL! provides every resident of Maine with access to a collection of full text articles and abstracts from magazines, newspapers and reference books that are from reputable resources. Direct access is available at any school or library in the State. Individual access is available to any Maine resident who establishes an account. Download MARVEL guide [PDF, 601 KB]
- Online Catalogs
- URSUS the online catalog shared by the Maine State Library, The University of Maine System, and the Bangor Public Library. Assistance using this resource is available from the reference staff.
- The Download Library includes eBooks and audiobooks.
- Materials Request
- Assistance on obtaining borrowing articles from MARVEL! is available from the reference staff.
- Assistance on finding and borrowing books through URSUS or other libraries is available from the reference staff.
- Photocopying and Reproducing
- What you can and cannot copy or reproduce; cost involved. Please review the services and policy.
- Research Classes
- Regularly scheduled and customized classes are available on a regular basis at the Maine State Library. Customized courses are available by appointment.
- You may reserve a half hour session with the Maine State Library reference staff to discuss ways to approach your research topic or to discover potential sources. Sessions are available at times convenient to both you and the library staff. A minimum of 3 business days is required to set up an appointment.
- Web Resources
- The reference staff maintains a subject guide to web sites on a variety of topics.
- NextReads Newsletters
- NextReads provides free electronic access to 25 newsletters about books by genre and subject.
Books That Shaped America
Civil War Resources