- What is the Real Estate Transfer Tax database?
- Is there a fee to use the RETT database?
- How do I obtain an account?
- How to Create a Real Estate Transfer Tax declaration?
- Can I search for and view for declarations that I have submitted?
- What happens to the declaration after I process it?
- How do I pay the transfer tax?
- What do I do if my declaration is returned to me by the Registry of Deeds?
1. What is the Real Estate Transfer Tax database?
The Real Estate Transfer Tax (RETT) database is an electronic database that allows:
- Users to create and electronically file RETT declarations;
- Registries to process RETT declarations;
- MRS to approve RETT declarations; and
- Municipalities to view and print RETT declarations and to update data for the annual turn around document.
2. Is there a fee to use the RETT database?
No. There is no fee to obtain an account or to access and use the database. All you need is internet access and an email address.
3. How do I obtain an account?
Access the link https://www1.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/mrs/rettd/index.pl .
- Click on Create an Account, a yellow box on the right side of the screen. This will open the Create an Account page allowing the user to enter their demographic information. Each account requires a unique email address.
- Click on the yellow Submit button. The Confirmation page provides you with your account number, the name, address and telephone number of the account holder.
- Click on the yellow Continue to Log In button then log into your account by entering your Account Number and Password and clicking on the yellow Log In box.
4. How to Create a Real Estate Transfer Tax declaration?
- You must be logged into your account to create a declaration.
- Click on the yellow Create a New RETTD button.
- All fields marked with a red asterisk (*) must be completed.
- Click on one of the following yellow buttons on bottom page:
Select Save Draft if you wish to save the data entered and return to it as a later time;
Select Cancel if you wish to not save what you have entered;
Select Continue if you wish to move forward with completing the declaration
- If you have completed all the required fields select the yellow Submit RETTD button.
- You will be directed to a page where social security numbers or federal identification numbers must be entered for the Grantee and Grantor. Once these fields are filled, select Submit Form button to submit the declaration to the Registry of Deeds.
- If all the fields are complete, you will receive an email confirming the declaration has been filed.
- The DLN (document locater number) is a unique number assigned to that declaration. The Registry of Deeds, Maine Revenue Services and the municipality may access the declaration by entering that DLN into their database.
- The Originator has 4 options once the RETT is processed:
- Create another New RETTD
- Continue to Main Menu
- Generate a PDF
- Log Out
5. Can I search for and view for declarations that I have submitted?
Yes, in the Search box
- You may search for declarations you prepared by the DLN number
- You may search for declarations you prepared by a particular county or all counties
- You may search for declarations you prepared by municipality
- You may search for declarations you prepared by street address
- You may search for declarations you prepared by last updated date
- You may search for declarations you prepared by a number of different status provided on a drop down menu
- When you have identified the declaration you wish to view, click on the DLN number to view the data and you may then select the yellow Generate a PDF button to view the data in return form.
6. What happens to the declaration after I process it?
- The declaration moves to the Registry queue in the county where the property is located.
- The Registrar will review the declaration when the deed is received for recording.
- After review, the Registrar will either accept the declaration or reject the declaration back to the preparer.
- Electronically filed declarations will be available to municipalities to view and print via the database in 3-5 days from date of filing with the registry.
7. How do I pay the transfer tax?
- Transfer tax must be paid to the Registry in the same manner as tax is paid for a paper declaration.
8. What do I do if my declaration is returned to me by the Registry of Deeds?
- You will receive an email informing you when a declaration is rejected by the Registry.
- You will also see the declaration in your account queue. You will have the option to Resubmit the declaration with the required information or Delete it. If you Delete the document, the registry will not be able to record the deed.