DHHS Workforce Development Training Resources
Resources on this page serve as training and information you can access as needed.
They are included as pre-work for some of our in-person training or as a quick guide for reference. Check back often as we will be adding new topics regularly.
Think there is a training resource DHHS employees would find useful on this page? Let us know:email@example.com
The four (4) Dementia Modules currently available are mandatory trainings for Adult Protective Services Investigators and Guardian Representatives. New hires must complete these trainings within 60 days of hire. Upon completion of all four modules, staff will receive a certificate of completion.
- Recognizing the Role of Diversity in Dementia Care - This training examines issues of racial and ethnic diversity as they pertain to dementia.
- Palliative and End of Life Care -This training will address how to identify when persons living with dementia are in end-stage dementia and will address the medical concerns that arise during this final stage.
- Understanding the Early Stage of Dementia - This module examines the manifestations and concerns most frequently seen during early-stage Alzheimer's disease (AD) and related dementias.
- Overview of Mild Cognitive Impairment and Dementia for an Interprofessional Team -This module is an introduction to information about mild cognitive impairment and the four most common types of dementia.
- Ladder of Inference (15 minutes) - This training provides tools to communicate in a more specific and factual way.
- Ladder Worksheet (Word) - This worksheet is to be used with the Ladder of Inference training video.
- Email 2020 (25 minutes) - This video will provide basic skills for professional emails.
- Customer Service (20 minutes)– This video provides basic customer service communication standards
- Listening Call Sheet (Word) – Template for call monitoring
- Feedback (20 minutes)
- This training providesa basic structure to giving employees feedback and briefly explains the difference between feedback and coaching.
- Connect Scenarios (Word) - These scenarios will be used to complete activities during the training.
- Corrective Feedback Observations (Word) - This document provides what should be included when providing feedback.
- Coaching (20 min) – This short video introduces participants to coaching techniques and resources for future use
DHHS Contract, RFP and Financial
- Competitive Procurement Pre-Training Review - This training is required pre-work for the Competitive Procurement Development class.
Goal Planning and Self Assessments
- SMART Goals - This training assists in understanding and writing goals/measurable expectations using a SMART format.
- 16 Personalities Self Assessment - This website provides a personality profile, with information on work place preferences to describe your professional strengths and areas for development.
- Competency Based Interviewing (15 minutes) - This video details the reasons and process for developing competency based interview questions in order to hire the right person for the job
- Competency Based Interviews (Word) - This Word document is from the Bureau of Human Resources and dives into deeper detail on using, writing and evaluating candidates when using a competency based format.
- Competency Question Template (Word) - This template will assist you in writing your own competency based interview questions with identifying possible probing questions to ask candidates
- Interview Rating Sheet (Word) - A template to use to aid in evaluating candidates for a position
- Selection Summary (Word) - A template to use as an aid in choosing the best qualified person for a position
- Preparing and Conducting Effective Meetings Online (15 minutes) – This training details both the tools and techniques for facilitating a successful meeting.
- Onboarding Training (20 minutes)
- Employee Onboarding Checklists - This interactive website walks you through the process of creating your own onboarding checklist.
- Performance Evaluation (20 min) – this training assists in the writing of measurable performance expectations and Employee Development plans. The performance management cycle at DHHS is also explained.
- State of Maine Performance Management Form instructions (PDF) - Written instruction for completing each section of the Performance Management Form
Trauma Informed Services
How Childhood Trauma Affects Health Across a Lifetime 16:02 min.
Pediatrician Nadine Burke Harris explains that the repeated stress of abuse has tangible effects on the development of the brain. This unfolds across a lifetime, to the point where those who've experienced high levels of trauma are at triple the risk for heart disease and lung cancer.
Preventing Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) Online Training
This series of training developed by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains what Adverse Childhood Experiences are, the lifetime effects of childhood trauma, the guidelines for preventing, and the steps to building resilience.
Module 1 - Total time 31 min.
This module discusses the connection between Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) and medical, social and public health issues
Introduction 5:05 min.
Lesson 1: 9:15 min.
Video 1 of 2 1:17 min.
Video 2 of 2 6:13 min.
Video 1 of 2 1:03 min.
Video 2 of 2 7:40 min.
Module 1 Conclusion- :49 min
MODULE 2 Total time: 23 min
Module 2 focuses on preventing and mitigating the effects of ACES
Introduction 1:38 min
Video 1 of 3 5:39 min.
Video 2 of 3 :27 min
Video 3 of 3 6:39min
Video 1 of 3 2:47 min
Video 2 of 3 :41 min
Video 3 of 3 3:12 min
Goal 1: :37 min
Goal 2: :21 min
Goal 3: :53 min
Goal 4: :52
Module 2 Conclusion 1:00