Cub Care

Low-Cost Health Insurance for Children Under Age 19

Maine, and every state in the nation, has a health insurance program for infants, children and teens. To view information for other state External site disclaimer

If your children need health insurance, Cub Care may be the answer. Apply now. Don't wait.

What services are covered?

  • Doctors visits: Well checkups and sick care; specialist care, if necessary
    Hospital care: inpatient outpatient emergency room
  • Immunizations
  • Prescriptions
  • Surgery
  • Laboratory & X-ray
  • Dental care: Full coverage for children
  • Medical equipment and supplies
  • School-based health centers
  • Chiropractic treatment services
  • Therapies: speech/language physical occupational
  • Vision screening/eyeglasses
  • Hearing test/hearing aids
  • Ambulance
  • Case management
  • Mental health and substance abuse treatment
  • Family planning services
  • Prenatal care
  • Transportation for medical appointments

Who is eligible for Cub Care?

  • Children under age 19 who meet the requirements listed in the MaineCare Eligibility Manual, Part 5.
  • Household income is between 157% FPL and 208% FPL.
  • For households with income less than 157% FPL, children may be eligible for MaineCare without the cost of a monthly premium.

How much does it cost?

  • Cub Care premiums range from $8 per month to $64 per month depending on household income and household size.

How do I apply?

  • Complete a MaineCare application
  • Mail the completed application to the following address:
    The Office for Family Independence
    Farmington District Office
    114 Corn Shop Lane
    Farmington, ME 04938
  • You can also drop off your application at any regional DHHS office.

How can I get more information or help filling out an application?

  • Call the Department of Human Services toll-free at: 1-877-KIDS NOW (1-877-543-7669)
  • Call Consumer Assistance Help Line toll-free and TDD/TTY at: 1-800-965-7476.
  • Contact the Maine Department of Health and Health and Human Services office nearest to your home.

Information to help you fill out the application for MaineCare.

1. Person Filling Out the Application

Provide information about the person filling out the application. This is usually the parent or guardian of the children listed under "Household Members" (#3 below). If you are applying for yourself because you are pregnant or you are under age 19 and living on your own, your name is listed here. Listing Social Security numbers will help avoid delays in processing. They are not required unless you are applying for yourself

2. Mailing Address

This is the address where you get your mail. Write the address where you live if it is different than your mailing address.

3. Household Members

List everyone who lives in the household including the children for whom you are applying. This tells us what income to count and who may be covered. If a household member is applying due to pregnancy, special rules apply which may help get coverage.

4. Household Earnings

Attach paystubs or photocopies of paystubs for the last 4 weeks. We need proof of income before we can process the application. Gross weekly wages are multiplied by 4.3 to arrive at gross monthly wages. Gross monthly wages are what determine eligibility.

5. Self-Employment

Attach a copy of your most recent tax return including all schedules. If your business is incorporated, include the corporate income tax return as well. If you have not filed a tax return, we will send you forms to complete.

6. Unearned Income

Examples are: Unemployment Compensation, Workers Compensation, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), VA, interest income and child support received. Attach a copy of the check, check stub or award letter from the income source. You do not need to do this for Social Security or SSI.

7. Child Care Expenses

Depending on your income, these expenses are deductions from earnings when figuring eligibility. The maximum monthly deduction is $200 per child under age 2 and $175 per child age 2 and over.

8. Child Support (Paid Out)

This is the monthly amount paid to comply with a court or child support order. Depending on your income, it is used as a deduction when figuring MaineCare eligibility. Any child support received as income is not listed here. It should be listed as "Unearned Income" (#6 above).

9. Health Insurance

Most children with health insurance are eligible for MaineCare. Some may not be. If this applies to you, the Department of Health and Human Services will give you more information.

10. Special Conditions

Special rules may apply for children with a disabling condition. This can help them to get coverage.
There is no premium for American Indian children who are members of a Federally recognized tribe or for children who are Alaskan Natives.

In some cases medical expenses for a 3 month period prior to the month of application may be covered.
Children or pregnant woman do not need to be citizens to be covered by MaineCare. Some non-citizens who are here temporarily, for example, students or visitors, can get coverage for payment of emergency services only.

If you are a parent living with your children age 18 and under, and you want to apply for yourself along with your children, fill in box 11 also.