Guidance from Other State Agencies

Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry (DACF)

Home Food Processing License is required to produce shelf stable (non-potentially hazardous) foods such as, but not limited to, cookies, brownies, gummies, candies, jams & jellies, pickles etc. in a home kitchen to be sold from the home or wholesale. 

Commercial Food Processing License is required to process, or otherwise prepare and package food products for human consumption in a commercial kitchen.  Potentially Hazardous Foods such as cheesecakes, cream pies, fermented foods etc. may be produced in a commercial kitchen.  This license allows wholesale sales.

Retail Food Establishment License is required to sell prepackaged foods, tinctures, other goods for consumption, and foods prepared on site for sale to the consumer and intended for off-premise consumption.

Beverage Plant License is required to assemble, process, manufacture, bottle or convert into form any non-alcoholic beverage for distribution or sale.

Laws and Rules can be found at:

License applications can be found at:

Please call the Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry, Division of Quality Assurance & Regulations at (207) 287-3841 with any questions.

Maine Board of Pesticide Control

Pesticide Applicators License is required for growers planning to use any pesticides (including all conventional, organic or “natural” insecticides, rodenticides, weed-killers, fungicides, rooting hormones or other plant hormones).

License applications can be found at:

Study materials can be purchased from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension Pest Management Office. Testing can be scheduled at Cooperative Extension Offices.

Most people study and pass exams on their own, but trainings are sometimes offered to assist.

Maine Revenue Services (MRS)

Tobacco Distributor License is required to engage in the business of producing or manufacturing tobacco products in this State for sale in this State, to engage in the business of selling tobacco products in this State when you bring, or cause to be brought, into this State tobacco products for sale to a retailer, to engage in the business of selling tobacco products by shipping or transporting tobacco products to retailers in this State or to be retailer importing, receiving or acquiring, from a person other than a licensed distributor, tobacco products for sale within the State or to make delivery sales.

Licensed Maine Tobacco Distributors are listed here:

For further information contact Maine Revenue Services, Sales, Fuel & Special Tax Division at (207)624-9609

Sales Tax Identification Number is required for most any business that has a physical presence in the State of Maine.

Apply online at:

Additionally, sales tax data for both cannabis programs is maintained by MRS and is publicly available on the MRS website based on information as filed by tax filers. Visit this MRS webpage and select "monthly cannabis taxable sales statewide" to see the most recent quarterly report.

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)

Potential Environmental Permitting Triggers which cannabis operations may trigger in the following Environmental Regulations:

  • Waste - Handling, storage, treatment and disposal of cannabis waste
  • Air - Drying and processing
  • Water - Waste water and stormwater
  • Land - Construction

Please contact your local officials to ensure you follow all local ordinances and obtain necessary permits. Additional guidance from DEP regarding environmental waste in the cannabis sector is available here.

Should you have general environmental regulatory questions please contact:

Julie M. Churchill
Maine DEP Small Business Ombudsman
(207) 881-9236