To assist applicants in the completion of the registry identification card online application process, the Office of Cannabis Policy (OCP) is providing the following instructions of what to expect in the application process. If you have additional questions, contact the Office of Cannabis Policy at Licensing.OCP@maine.gov.
Information to Have Before Starting
1. If the applicant has had a prior license in the Maine Medical Use of Cannabis Program, including a prior caregiver registration, a caregiver assistant registration, or a dispensary assistant registration, have that registration number and the access number available.
* If applicant does not have their registration number or access code, they can call OCP or email Licensing.OCP@maine.gov.
3. An electronic copy of the applicant’s State issued photographic identification issued by the state in which theycurrently reside.
4. An electronic 2x2 photo with a clear image of your face. Do not use filters commonly used on social media. Do not digitally change your photo. Have someone else take your photo. Use plain white or off-white background. A high-resolution photo that is not blurry, grainy, or pixelated.
5. Determine the date (within the past 12 months) of your last background by OCP for the Maine Medical Use of Cannabis of Program. If you cannot recall, call OCP or email Licensing.OCP@maine.gov. *Please note that we cannot use a background check done for an adult use individual identification card for a medical use registration background check.
Online Application Steps
The “Online” link will redirect the applicant to the Regulatory Licensing & Permitting online portal. Choose “MEDICAL CANNABIS PROGRAM” as the Regulator.
From the Main Menu choose “Individuals”.
Applicants will have the option to “Apply for a Registration” or “Renew a Registration.”
*Please Note: If your registry identification card is passed its expiration date, choose “Apply for a Registration”, you can only use the renewal option if your card is currently still active. Additionally, if you have had a prior caregiver assistant or dispensary assistant card (CGE or DSI), choose “Apply for a Registration” as this is your first time apply for this new card.
The “Upload Outstanding Application Documents” will allow the applicant to upload any documents that were not present during the application process at a later time.
From the “Apply for a Registration” menu, choose “Apply for a Registry Identification Card”.
Applications will be asked if they have ever held any type of license in the medical program, this includes a prior caregiver registration, a caregiver assistant registration or dispensary assistant registration. Answering this correctly will link your new application to your existing profile in OCP’s system and make processing your application much faster.
Provide the applicant’s personal information: name and date of birth.
The applicant reads the application instructions in their entirety.
The applicant adds any previous names they have ever gone by.
The applicant provides State issued photographic id information issued by the state in which they currently reside.
The applicant provides their personal contact information including mailing address, personal residential street address (current and prior five years, if different), personal phone number, and personal email address.
The applicant will upload a copy of a State issued photographic id issued by the state in which they currently reside.
The applicant will indicate if ever convicted of a violation of a state or federal controlled substance law.
The applicant will answer several Maine Medical Use of Cannabis Program qualifying character and fitness requirement questions.
The applicant will upload a 2x2 photo for use on the final identification card.
The applicant will indicate if OCP has completed a background check in the past 12 months.
*Please note, if you cannot remember the date of your last background check, please call OCP to check, as answering this question incorrectly can delay the processing of your application.
The applicant reviews, attests and agrees to the information submitted in the application.
After Submission Processing
- After submission the applicant will receive a confirmation email at the email address provided in during the application process.
- This confirmation email will include a fee notice for the $20.00 licensing fee, and if the applicant indicated it has been over 12 months since the last background check, the fee notice will include the $31.00 background check fee. You must submit this fee for your application to continue moving forward through the process.
- If the applicant indicated it has not been over 12 months since the last background check, but upon review by OCP it is determined it has been more than 12 months, OCP will send a second email with a separate fee notice attached for the $31.00 background check fee. You must submit this fee for your application to continue moving forward through the process.
- An Office Specialist at OCP will review the submitted application materials and reach out to the applicant for clarification or missing documentation, if necessary.
- Upon approval by OCP and payment of the licensing fee, the registry identification card will be issued, printed and mailed to the mailing address provided during the application process.