IRS Resources & Links

These IRS links are being provided as a courtesy for the public to access IRS information. Please contact the IRS with any questions you have about content information, as the Secretary of State's office cannot provide any assistance on the information being provided.

IRS - Employee ID Numbers - An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number. This link will provide information on how to apply for an EIN or to make changes to the EIN.

If you intend to apply to the IRS for recognition of federal tax-exempt status as a charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, your articles of incorporation must contain certain provisions. For more information, visit this page on the IRS website. To learn about the general requirements for federal tax-exempt status, visit, or download IRS Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization

New imageNew Federal Reporting Requirement for Beneficial Ownership Information

Effective January 1, 2024

Beneficial Ownership Information Frequently Asked Questions

The Corporate Transparency Act (“CTA”) was enacted by Congress on January 1, 2021, as part of the National Defense Authorization Act. The CTA includes significant reforms to anti-money laundering laws and is intended to help prevent and combat money laundering, terrorist financing, corruption, and tax fraud.  The CTA establishes a beneficial ownership reporting requirement for corporations, limited liability companies, and other similar entities formed or registered to do business in the United States. Beneficial ownership reports must be filed with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), a bureau within the U.S. Department of Treasury. For information on filing requirements please visit FinCen’s website at

Additional information and resources can be found at