Home → Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions
About the Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions
For the health and safety of the public and our employees, our customer service window remains closed. Our office will accept documents required to be filed with the Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions via an onsite document mailbox.
Governor Mills signs Executive Order for Temporary Remote Notarization of Paper Documents https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/sites/maine.gov.governor.mills/files/inline-files/EO37.pdf
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING STATE GOVERNMENT CLOSURE
In observance of Indigenous Peoples Day, all Secretary of State offices will be closed Monday, October 12, 2020.
The Bureau is responsible for elections, corporations, and a variety of central filing activities. The Bureau has significant contact with the public in many areas including the following:
- Conduct of state elections
- Corporation filings
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings
- Oversight of the Administrative Procedure Act (state agency rule-making)
- Recording of appointments to state offices, boards and commissions
- Commissioning of Notaries Public