Position Type: Professional
Library Type: Public
The Technology Services/Reference Librarian is responsible for overseeing the library's information technology needs. this covers areas of general computer maintenance, troubleshooting and contact with town's Network Technology Administrator when needed; computer training of staff and patrons; advanced knowledge of Internet resources and databases; and web management. The reference duties include responding to library patron's questions and the upkeep of reference materials. The Technology Services Librarian is appointed by the Library Director and operates under his or her general guidance and direct supervision to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
The following are some of the typical duties of the Technology Services/Reference Librarian and are not exclusive of other related duties which may be required from time to time.
- Responsible for general computer maintenance and troubleshooting
- Library website management along with the Children's Librarian
- Communicate with Library Director and Town Network Administrator regarding library technology issues and policies
- Offer computer/Internet training to library patrons
- Work with staff to update computer skills or train on new programs as needed
- On an ongoing basis explore Internet sites and databases to keep up with sources as needed
- Keep abreast of new technology related to library services such as e-reference, any additional online services, wireless public access and evaluate how best they might work at the library
- Promote use of library's electronic information sources
- Assist patrons with reference questions
- Maintain a relevant and current reference collection
- Responsible for displays of topical, seasonal, and/or informational interest for the library
- May develop programming initiatives
- Perform some general library office management duties. This includes answering phones and directing calls, inventory, purchasing supplies, and scheduling of meeting room
- Is qualified to assist as needed in other departments
This position requires knowledge of current library practices and procedures as related to library technology needs and reference service. Must have the ability to be trained and in turn train others in the various technological advances in library services. The person in this position must be able to deal with public tactfully in a pleasant and professional manner, must be a team player and maintain good working relationships with other employees, public officials, the Library Board of Trustees, volunteers and the general public.
Appointees to the position of Technology Services/Reference Librarian must possess the following qualifications: - Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college of university - Equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates necessary knowledge, skills and abilities
- Familiarity with Sagebrush Spectrum's library software and/or other library software
- Flexibility of motion. Position requires ability to lift and move equipment and library materials around as well as lots of getting up and down to assist patrons.