Position Type: Professional
Library Type: Special
This is professional services work in providing library services to the inmate population at a state correctional facility. Responsibilities include operating all aspects of a library and establishing unit goals, procedures, and priorities. This classification is distinguished from other Librarian classifications in that the employee is responsible for serving on the Administrative Segregation (Ad Seg) Panel and the Disciplinary Review Board. Work is performed under limited supervision.
(A position may not be assigned all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all the duties that may be assigned).
- Selects books and other media for the library in order to provide library services.
- Monitors expenses in order to ensure operations do not exceed budget and to maintain financial records.
- Hires, trains, and reviews the work of inmate library assistants in order to ensure work is completed satisfactorily.
- Observes and advises inmates in order to assist them in locating library material and to ensure proper security.
- Recommends, selects, and delivers requested reading materials to inmates in lock-in areas in order to ensure legal, educational, and recreational reading needs are met.
- Conducts hearings as member of Ad Seg panel in order to determine status of inmates placed in administrative segregation for security reasons.
- Conducts hearing as member of Disciplinary Review Board in order to determine whether charges of inmate misconduct are valid.
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities Required
(These are required to successfully perform the work assigned).
- Knowledge of library science.
- Knowledge of library techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of books and authors.
- Knowledge of prison security regulations.
- Ability to independently operate a library.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
(Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
- Five (5) year combination of education, training, and experience in library science.
(These must be met by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).
(This must be successfully completed by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).