Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
Summary of responsibilities:
Responsible for working with the public and other library staff to provide a wide range of library services to children and families.
- Ability to give friendly, helpful service to children and families of all kinds.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patrons and staff.
- Requires a working knowledge of the principals and practices of professional library work and youth services in particular.
- Requires sound judgment, initiative, tact and courtesy, attention to detail, and the ability to work as a team with a small staff, making adjustments to best meet the needs of the patrons.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of children’s literature and appropriate techniques for working with children.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and related experience, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be able to work evenings and Saturdays.
Characteristic duties and responsibilities:
- Maintains good relations with public, staff, and volunteers.
Staffs Children's circulation desk
- Greets, assists, and refers library users according to their needs and performs a wide range of clerical public contact duties.
- Uses library automated circulation system to lend materials to library users including checking materials in and out, processing holds, registering borrowers, collecting fees, informing patrons of the status of their accounts, and conveying information about library policy. Opens and closes library building, prepares and counts money, keeps daily records of circulation and activities, answers telephone.
- Instructs patrons needing help on library computers.
- Processes overdue children’s books.
- Maintains juvenile registration records.
- Assists patrons using library equipment, performing basic maintenance on copiers and computers.
Children's Reference and Reader's Advisory
- Assists patrons on the selection of reading materials appropriate for their needs and assists in interpretation of library materials.
- Answers reference questions and conducts research as needed.
- Plans and presents programs and activities for diverse age groups, to encourage reading and stimulate use of the library including weekly Story Time, summer reading programs, school tours, class visits, outreach programs, and special events.
- Participates with other community agencies to extend and promote library programs.
Children’s Library Collection:
- In charge of children’s materials budget.
- Selects materials by reading and evaluating reviews, patrons’ requests, and popular trends.
- Evaluates and implements improvements in collection, adding, weeding and withdrawing as needed.
- Assists in cataloging and processing children’s books.
- Shelves, reads, and organizes materials in children’s collection.
- Repairs books.
- Evaluates children’s services, implements improvements.
- Directs and supervises volunteers
- Writes procedures
- Solicits donations
- Creates & maintains displays and develops bibliographies & brochures,
- Attends workshops, meetings and conferences as appropriate.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.