While NG9-1-1 speeds up the dispatch of emergency services, delays may happen if responders can't find you. Below are guidelines for posting your address:
- First, remove any old numbers from the structure and mailbox.
- Always place your number on the structure.
- Post your number on both sides of the mailbox.
- If the number on the structure is not visible from the road and the mailbox is not next to the driveway, place a post with the number at the driveway's entrance.
- If the mailbox is located at the end of a private road, post the number and the road name on both sides of the box. This limits potential confusion caused by numbers that appear out of sequence.
- Posted numbers should be high enough so that snow does not cover them.
- Numbers on structures should be a minimum of 4 inches high and a contrasting color.
- Reflective materials improve visibility.
- Put driving directions next to each telephone for easy reference.