Law Enforcement Services

Serving Trespass, Harassment, and Protection from Abuse Orders

Capitol Police officers serve Harassment, Trespass, and Protection from Abuse Orders on the Augusta campuses and at other State buildings in Augusta.  Under some circumstances, Capitol Police may also serve, or request service by other law enforcement agencies, of these notices on behalf of State agencies or State employees located throughout the State. 

A Trespass Notice instructs an individual not to be in a specific place for a certain length of time. For example, if someone has threatened an employee, the offender may be issued a trespass notice to keep them from going to the employee’s place of work for a certain length of time.  In another instance, a person who repeatedly abuses the rules of the Maine State Library may be issued a trespass notice indicating to them that they are not allowed in the library for a certain amount of time. A Capitol Police Officer can issue Trespass orders.

If someone is harassing you and that person will not stop, you may be protected by Maine’s Protection from Harassment law. The Protection from Harassment law protects individuals and/or their children and businesses from harassment by an individual. The person you are seeking protection from does not have to be a family or household member. This order is issued by a judge. There may or may not be fees in a protection from harassment case. The court clerk’s office will tell you what the fees are, if applicable. The State of Maine Judicial Branch  page has much more information about harassment orders.

A Protection from Abuse Order is also issued by a judge. The Protection from Abuse law protects individuals and/or their children from abuse by a family or household member, or intimate or dating partner. It might mean that your abuser is ordered not to contact you or that he or she are ordered not to go to your home or workplace.  Violation of the order will result in the violator’s arrest. There are no fees to file a protection from abuse case. Please reach out to the Police or Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence for more information. For more information about Protection from Abuse Orders visit the State of Maine Judicial Branch page.