Although weapons of any kind are not allowed on State property in Augusta, the items listed below are specifically prohibited from the State House or other legislative areas and will not be allowed into the building, regardless of whether a person is required to undergo security screening measures:
- Firearms to include replica guns and ammunition
- Weapons (to include but not limited to): Black-jack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, knuckles, electric stun guns, knives of any size including razors and box cutters, martial arts weapons, or devices.
- Paint or pellet guns
- Fireworks, firecrackers, sparklers, or other incendiary devices
- Compressed flammable or helium gasses
- Flammable liquids
- Alcoholic beverages
- Illegal drugs or substances
Other substances or items that could reasonably, in the judgement of Capitol Police, present a significant risk to people or property in the State House environment, including but not limited to:
- Pointed objects to include but not limited to knitting needles, letter openers, scissors, and other pointed objects deemed a possible threat.
- Explosives and explosive devices to include components of a destructive device.
- Aerosol containers
- Signs on posts or sticks
- Rope or chains
- Glass containers (unless there is a specific need/purpose).
- Other implements which by their nature are capable of being used to injure a person or destroy property.
Many tradesperson’s tools can also function as dangerous weapons, especially those with blades or that are club shaped. Only those tools declared at screening, and needed for specific work, will be allowed-in, and only for the time frame needed. Tools that area allowed-in must be kept under the control of the tradesperson at all times.
Bona-fide military or law enforcement honor guard or military personnel in full dress uniform while participating in a formal military ceremony in the State House may be permitted to carry weapons provided all firearms have been disabled and are incapable of being discharged. Additionally, an on-duty law enforcement officer is permitted to carry a weapon provided that the officer so discloses possession of the weapon and allow its inspection by the on duty Capitol Police officer who will keep a written log of all such exceptions to the prohibition.
Thank you, in advance, for your help and cooperation.
Together, we can keep everyone safe and secure with minimal inconvenience