Serving Trespass, Harassment, and Protection from Abuse Orders

Capitol Police officers serve Harassment, Trespass, and Protection from Abuse Orders on the Augusta campuses and at other State buildings in Augusta.  Under some circumstances, Capitol Police may also serve, or request service by other law enforcement agencies, of these notices on behalf of State agencies or State employees located throughout the State.

A Trespass Notice instructs an individual not to be in a specific place for a certain length of time. For example, if someone has threatened an employee, the offender may be issued a trespass notice to keep them from going to the employee’s place of work for a certain length of time.  In another instance, a person who repeatedly abuses the rules of the Maine State Library may be issued a trespass notice indicating to them that they are not allowed in the library for a certain amount of time. A Capitol Police Officer can issue Trespass orders.

If someone is harassing you and that person will not stop, you may be protected by Maine’s Protection from Harassment law. The Protection from Harassment law protects individuals and/or their children and businesses from harassment by an individual. The person you are seeking protection from does not have to be a family or household member. This order is issued by a judge. There may or may not be fees in a protection from harassment case. The court clerk’s office will tell you what the fees are, if applicable. The State of Maine Judicial Branch  page has much more information about harassment orders.

A Protection from Abuse Order is also issued by a judge. The Protection from Abuse law protects individuals and/or their children from abuse by a family or household member, or intimate or dating partner. It might mean that your abuser is ordered not to contact you or that he or she are ordered not to go to your home or workplace.  Violation of the order will result in the violator’s arrest. There are no fees to file a protection from abuse case. Please reach out to the Police or Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence for more information. For more information about Protection from Abuse Orders visit the State of Maine Judicial Branch page.

What To Do If You Receive Threatening Communication

If you receive a terrorist threat or bomb threat dial 911

When dealing with people, you may encounter those who engage in threatening behaviors. Although we cannot control the conduct of others, we can take steps to mitigate threats to our employees and the State’s property.

If you receive a threatening phone call, remain calm and write down as much information about the threat and caller as you can. Be polite and try not to aggravate the caller.  Get the attention of a co-worker who can call police, or call police on another phone as soon as the caller hangs up.  Do not hang up even if the caller does. Write down the numbers or letters on your telephone’s display. Try to keep the caller on the line so you can get as much information as possible. Immediately write down as many details about the call you can including the date and time. Did the caller identify him or herself?  If not, did they have an accent, or other identifying features like a distinctive voice? Could you hear any identifying background noises like music or machinery? Could you guess the callers age or other identifying features?

If you receive a threatening e-mail, do not delete it. Do not respond to the e-mail. Alert your supervisor immediately and call police.

If you receive threatening or suspicious mail, do not open or handle the item. Alert your supervisor immediately and call Capitol Police or the local agency that responds to your location. Suspicious mail may be a letter or a package. You may notice that it has no return address, incorrect titles or spelling, excessive postage or a strange odor or sound.

Capitol Police take threats very seriously. If you have concerns about a person making threats whether verbal or written, call us at 287-HELP (4357) and speak with an officer.