Mineral Collecting in Maine
- Our virtual tour (PDF 3.5MB) is a series of photos which portray some of the minerals found in Maine, the State's mining history, and the hobby of mineral collecting.
- The Survey's popular Collector's Guide to Maine Minerals is now available in an online edition. Maps and descriptions of collecting sites are available as PDF files for download.
- Chapter 6 of the online guide contains detailed maps, directions, mineral lists, and other data for individual collecting localities.
- Only sites currently open for collecting are listed. Collectors should consult the list of closed mineral localities before planning any collecting excursions.
- Mineral Collecting in Maine
- Collecting Localities and Field Trips
- Mineral Displays
- Mineral Descriptions
- A Collector's Guide to Maine Minerals
- Mineralogy of Maine
- Bibliography of Maine Geology - For those interested in more in-depth research, the Bibliography of Maine Geology contains more than 12,000 references related to Maine geology. The Bibliography is part of the Maps and Publications Search. The search results displayed will have links to online Maine Geological Survey maps and publications.
- Meetings and Workshops
- Maine Mineral Collecting - General
- Coromoto Minerals - mining operations at Mt. Mica and Orchard Pit Mines
- Guided mineral collecting tours to multiple sites are available through the following:
- Mineral and Mineral Locality Database
- Mineralogical Magazines/Journals
- Online Journals
- U.S. Geological Survey
Last updated on March 30, 2018