Maps, Charts, and Photos
- Use the Maps and Publications Search to search for Maine geologic maps and publications
- Types of geologic maps published by the Maine Geological Survey
- General Geologic Map Information
- U.S. Geological Survey Geology Publications
- U.S. Geological Survey Geologic Names Lexicon
- National Geologic Map Database - Search database developed by U.S. Geological Survey in cooperation with the Association of American State Geologists. The database is a geoscience resource for maps and related data about: geology, hazards, earth resources, geophysics, geochemistry, geochronology, paleontology, and marine geology.
- Meeting Challenges with Geologic Maps
- The Maine Geological Survey sells U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps for Maine at scales of 1:24,000 (707 maps cover the state), 1:100,000 (35 maps cover the state), 1:250,000 (13 maps cover the state), and 1:500,000 (1 map covers the state). To order maps, go to our Maps, Publications, and Online Data site.
- How to find which quadrangle covers an area.
- Old Topographic Maps: Geological Tools and Records of History
- Online Map Viewers
- U.S. Geological Survey The National Map
- U.S. Geological Survey National Map viewer
- Historical Maps - this site, hosted by MyTopo, is an expansion of the Historic Maps of New England site hosted at UNH. The site has been expanded to include Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
- General Information
Air Photos and Satellite Imagery
- The Maine Geological Survey has historical aerial photographs covering many parts of Maine. The photos were collected between 1930 and 2009 at scales from 1:1,200 to 1:80,000. Use the Maine Aerial Photographs map to review photo coverage and availability.
- Aerial photographs of Maine - Views from the sky - Maine Geological Survey fact sheet
- Online Air Photo Viewers
- Maine GeoLibrary Orthoimagery Discovery and Download Application
- Maine GeoLibrary Orthoimagery Program Overview
- U.S. Geological Survey National Map Viewer
- General Information
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Aerial Photographs and Satellite Images - fact sheet
- Earth Explorer - satellite imagery, air photos, DEM, DLG, DRG
- EROS (Earth Resources Observation Systems) Data Center - air photos, satellite imagery
- How To Obtain Aerial Photographs - fact sheet
- Looking for an Old Aerial Photograph - fact sheet
- Farm Service Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture Aerial Photography Field Office
- NASA ISS EarthKAM - Earth Knowledge Acquired by Middle school students - space shuttle and space station imagery
- The Maine Geological Survey sells National Wetlands Inventory Maps published by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Wetland Codes and Definitions
- Online Viewer
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Wetlands Mapper
Digital Elevation Models
- NOAA Historical Map and Chart Collection - image viewer for old nautical charts
- NOAA Nautical Charts and Publications
- NOS Bathymetric and Fishing Maps
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency My Environment online map viewer
- Maine Department of Transportation Survey control points
- National Geodetic Survey Survey control information
- U.S. Geological Survey Benchmark elevation information
The Maine Geological Survey has started to compile a database of scanned slides and digital photographs taken by staff or contributed by other geologists working in the state. Many of these photos are now available online in our Digital Maine - Field Photos Collection or from our Maine Field Photos Digital Maine Search tool.
Other Links of Interest
Last updated on March 23, 2021