DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Maine Forest Service → About Us → Forest Policy and Management → Water Resources → Statewide Standards for Timber Harvesting in Shoreland Areas
Statewide Standards for Timber Harvesting in Shoreland Areas
MFS Rule - Chapter 21 Statewide Standards for Timber Harvesting and Related Activities in Shoreland Areas (PDF | 465 KB)
For activities in organized towns
- As of January 1, 2013:
- Statewide standards are in effect in organized towns that have decided to adopt statewide standards for timber harvesting and related activities in shoreland areas.
- Statewide standards are NOT in effect in organized towns that have either elected to:
- retain their old shoreland zoning ordinance for timber harvesting or
- not taken action on statewide standards will continue under their old shoreland zoning rules until they take action.
For activities in Land Use Planning Commission Area (LUPC)
- Areas under the administration of the LUPC (formerly known as LURC) will continue under current rules for the time being (see MFS Chapter 27 Rule, Standards for Timber Harvesting and Timber Harvesting Related Activities within Unorganized and Deorganized Areas of the State).
- Chapter 21 Rule (PDF | 465 KB)
- Maine Forest Service Interpretations (PDF | 106 KB)
- Basis Statements:
- Town Status List as of January 12, 2023 (PDF | 232 KB)
- Statewide Town Status Map (PDF | 1.77 MB)
- Statewide Standards Municipality Maps
- Forest Operations Notifications Addendum: Chapter 21 - Statewide Standards in Shoreland Areas (PDF | 65 KB) (Word | 43 KB)
- NRPA Permit by Rule Notification Form (PDF | 1.23 MB)
- For permanent new crossings. Can only be used between July 15 and October 1
- Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Request of Approval for Activity (PDF | 88 KB)
- For permanent new crossings. Can only be used between October 2 and July 14 and must be submitted with Permit By Rule Notification Form.
- Petition for Variance
- Presentation on Statewide Standards (PDF | 1.37 MB)
- Statewide Standards for Timber Harvesting and Related Activities in Shoreland Areas (DEP Towns) Information Sheet (PDF | 101 KB)
- Title 38 §437. Significant river segments identified (PDF | 25 KB)
- Best Management Practices (BMP)
- Contact your District Forester for Assistance
"We help you make informed decisions about Maine's forests"