DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Maine Forest Service → About Us → Forest Protection → Firewise USA → Tips for Firewise USA Sites
Tips for Firewise USA Sites
Becoming a Firewise USA Site
Steps to achieve Firewise USA status
- Work with the Maine Forest Service to complete a Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- Form a Firewise USA board
- Create a 2 - 3 year Firewise USA plan
- Hold a “Firewise USA Day” each year
- Invest $2 per capita in annual Firewise USA projects -
(which can easily be obtained by completing a “brush chipping day” and a “Firewise USA Day”)
Advantages discovered by Maine’s Firewise USA sites:
- Encouraged a positive change in local tree cutting ordinance
- Positive public relations for MFS and Fire Dept.
- Increased community awareness of - “Firewise” principles
- A significant reduction in the amount of forest fuels near homes - defensible space video.
- Familiarity with evacuation procedures - (in the event of a wildfire).