DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Maine Forest Service → About Us → Forest Health & Monitoring →Sending a Sample to the Maine Forest Service Insect and Disease Lab
Sending a Sample to the Maine Forest Service Insect and Disease Lab
Mail samples to:
Insect and Disease Lab
168 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0168
Or deliver them in person to 90 Blossom Lane in Augusta Maine (Directions) between 7:30 and 4:30 (please call ahead to be sure someone will be available to accept the sample): (207) 287-2431
All samples should be accompanied by complete contact information and a description of where the sample was collected (Download Submission form)
- Please send early or mid week to avoid prolonged storage and degradation
- Please send insects in crush proof containers. Crushed samples are often impossible to identify.
- Send many individuals if possible, limit large live insects to six or less with adequate food.
- Some specimens will ship well in a leak proof container preserved in isopropyl alcohol
- Diseased needles, leaves and shoots can be sent in a padded envelope
- Directions for submitting ticks to the UMaine Cooperative Extension Tick ID Lab are available at their website.