African American Collection of Maine
- Library: University of Southern Maine Special Collections
- Library Type: Academic
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- Description of Collection:
Unique in its breadth and depth, reflecting the presence of the African American community in Maine since the early colonial period (though the majority of the collection dates from the 20th century), the University of Southern Maine Library has established and is developing a broad-based collection of manuscripts, printed works, visual material, audio material, and artifacts representing the full historical and cultural record of the African American experience in Maine and its connections with the experience of African Americans regionally and nationally.
- Circulation/Access Policy:
- Materials do not circulate. The Reading Room is open Monday, Wednesday & Thursday from 1 to 5 p.m., and also by appointment.
- Number of Collection Items:
- More than 250
- Books, Manuscripts, Pamphlets, Cassettes, VHS, 3-D Objects, Art Works, Photographs, Maps
- Catalog Web Address (if available):
- Search Tips:
- Library Contact Name: Kristin D. Morris
- Library Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org