Silliker Jr, William (1947 - 2003)
Genre: Illustrator, Non-Fiction, Non-Fiction - Scholarly
Ocean Park (Saco), Maine resident Bill Silliker, Jr., was a wildlife and nature photographer and writer. Born September 25, 1947 in Medford, Massachusetts, he graduated from Nasson College in Springvale, Maine in 1969.
Silliker wrote a monthly column, 'The Maine Camera Hunter,' for The Maine Sportsman magazine and the monthly 'The Camera Hunter' column for the online magazine Nature Photographers. Silliker also wrote articles for Nature Photographer, Outdoor Photographer, and other magazines. Silliker's photography appeared in many publications, including Backpacker, Down East, Field & Stream, National Geographic Society, Outdoor Life, and Sports Afield.
He taught wildlife and nature photography at L.L. Bean's Outdoor Discovery Schools and hosted and co-produced the Maine Public Television nature show 'Special Places' from 1995 to 1997. Through his video production company, P.S. Hemingway, Silliker and co-owner and videographer Steve Pulos produced several videos, including 'You Just Have To Love Bears,' 'Maine's Magnificent Moose,' 'Loons of the Northern Forest,' 'SeaBirds of the Maine Coast' and 'The Story of Baxter State Park: Nature At Peace.'
- Maine Moose Watcher's Guide (1993)
- Moose - Giant of the Northern Forest (1998)
- Uses For Mooses and Other (Silly) Observations (2000)
- Moose Watchers Handbook (2001)
- Saving Maine: An Album of Conservation Success Stories (2002)
- Wild Maine: Discoveries of a Wildlife Photographer (2004)
- Just Loons (1998; text by Alan E. Hutchinson)
- Just Eagles: A Wildlife Watcher's Guide (2000; text by Alan E. Hutchinson)
- Silliker's Ocean Park Restaurant Cookbook: A Recipe Feast! 1908-1978 (1994, with Ruth L. Silliker)