McCloskey, Robert (1914 - 2003)
Genre: Children's Literature
Born in Hamilton, Ohio, McCloskey attended Vesper George Art School in Boston, served in World War II, and eventually moved to Maine with his wife Peggy, whose mother, children's author Ruth Sawyer, lived in Hancock, Maine.
McCloskey was the winner of several Caldecott Medals and Honors.
An archive of manuscripts, various language editions, ephemera, and original artwork by McCloskey is in the May Massee collection at Emporia State University in Kansas.
McCloskey died on Deer Island, Maine, on 30 June, 2003, at the age of 88.
- Lentil, (1940/1999)
- Make Way for Ducklings, (1941) (1942 Caldecott Medal winner)
- Homer Price, (1943/1999)
- Blueberries for Sal, (1948/1999)
- Centerburg Tales, (1951/1999)
- One Morning in Maine, (1952/1999) (Caldecott Honor book)
- Journey Cake, Ho!, (1953) (Caldecott Honor book)
- Time of Wonder, (1957/1999) (1958 Caldecott Medal winner)
- Henry Reed, Inc, (1958)
- Burt Dow, Deep Water Man: A Tale of the Sea in the Classic Tradition, (1963)
- The World of Robert McCloskey, (1998)