Thorndike, Virginia (1945 - )
Virginia (Dinnie) Thorndike (born 6 Oct. 1945) lived in Morrill, Maine; she lives in Huntington Beach, CA.
She has a B.A. from Boston University (1967).
Many of her books deal with sailing and boats. She comes from a family of sailors -- her great-grandfather was a three-time America's Cup defender and her grandfather designed sailing yachts and was also an America's Cup contender.
- The Arctic Schooner Bowdoin: A Biography (1995)
- Windjammer Watching on the Coast of Maine: A Guide to the Famous Windjammer Fleet and 34 Other Traditional Sailing Vessels (1993)
- How We Got There From Here: Remembering the Days of Steamers, Trolleys, and Model Ts in Maine (1997)
- Maine Lobsterboats: Builders and Lobstermen Speak of Their Craft (1998)
- On Tugboats: Stories of Work and Life Aboard (2004)
- Islanders: Real Life on the Maine Islands (2005)
- LNG: A Level-Headed Look at the Liquefied Natural Gas Controversy (2007)