Little, Carl (1954 - )
Genre: Non-Fiction, Non-Fiction - Scholarly, Poetry
Art critic, freelance writer, and poet Carl Little, who lives in Somesville, Mount Desert Island, was born in New York City. He received his B.A. from Dartmouth College, his M.F.A. from Columbia University, and a master's from Middlebury College. He is Director of Communications and Marketing for the Maine Community Foundation.
Previously, Little was director of public affairs and director of the Ethel H. Blum Gallery at College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, and before that was an editor at Windswept House Publishers, owned by writer/publisher Jane Weinberger. He is a former associate editor for Art in America magazine, to which he contributes regularly, and he has written many articles for Art New England, Maine Boats, Homes and Harbors, Ornament, and was a regular contributor to the Bangor Daily News and the Maine Times. Much of his freelance work focuses on his knowledge of Maine art, an interest he acquired from his uncle, William Kienbusch, the painter who was a founder of Maine Coast Artists and lived on Great Cranberry Island.
Little and artist/book designer Arnold Skolnick have collaborated on several art books, Little writing the text and Skolnick creating the book's design.
Selected Art/Criticism Works
- Bernard Langlais: Works on Paper, (1990)
- Paintings of Maine,(1991/1996)
- Edward Hopper's New England, (1993)
- Winslow Homer and the Sea, (1995)
- Paintings of New England, (1996)
- William Kienbusch: A Retrospective Exhibition, 1946-1979, (1996)
- Art of the Maine Islands, (1997)
- Winslow Homer: His Art, His Light, His Landscapes, (1997)
- The Watercolors of John Singer Sargent,(1998)
- Beverly Hallam: Odyssey in Art, (1998)
- The Art of Maine in Winter, (2002)
- Discovery: 50 Years of Craft Experience at Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, (2004)
- Painting Maine: The Borrowed Views of Connie Hayes, (2004)
- Lawrence S. Goldsmith: A Life in Watercolor, (2004)
- The Art of Monhegan, (2004)
- Phyllis Rees: Intimate Views of Nature, (2006)
- Paintings of Maine: A New Collection, (2006)
Books of Poetry
- 3,000 Dreams Explained, (Nightshade Press, 1992).
- Ocean Drinker: New & Selected Poems, (Deerbrook Editions, 2006).