Cowen-Fletcher, Jane ( - )
Genre: Children's Literature
Jane Cowen-Fletcher's children's picture books have been recommended reading for many groups of children, from those who have a parent with a physical disability to those whose parents want to assure them that they are protected. Cowen-Fletcher lives in South Berwick, Maine, and serves on the South Berwick Public Library Planning Task Force. She was a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin from 1981-1983.
- It Takes A Village (1993/1994) is based on the African proverb and concept that child-rearing is a community activity. It won the African Studies Association's Younger Children's Book Award and was nominated for the Washington Children's Choice Picture Book Award.
- Mama Zooms (1993/1996), about a mother in a speedy wheelchair
- Baby Angels (1996/1997), about guardian angels that watch over a child
- Farmer Will (2001), about a little boy and his beloved farm animal toys
- I Love You, Baby, from Head to Toe! (2004; by Karen Padell, illus. by Cowen-Fletcher)
- Nell's Elf (2006), about a bored child who creates an elf for a playmate.