Cole, John (1923 - 2003)
Cole grew up on Long Island (NY), served with the Army Air Corps during World War II (flying 35 combat missions over Europe), and graduated from Yale University (1945).
He lived and worked in Manhattan before moving to Maine in the 1950s, where he lived the rest of his life, apart from a 6-year interlude in Key West.
Cole was well known in Maine, both for his career in journalism and his positions on political and environmental issues. He was the founding editor in 1968 (with Peter Cox) of the Maine Times, and was editor of Maine In Print, the newspaper of the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance. He also edited the Kennebunk Star and the Brunswick Times-Record for which he wrote a regular column.
Besides writing a number of books, he published essays and articles in many publications including: Atlantic Monthly, Field & Stream, Country Journal, Harper's, cite>Esquire, Portland magazine, and Maine Biz.
He also taught journalism classes at Bowdoin.
Some of Cole's awards include the Distinguished Flying Cross for military service, and the Yankee Quill Award from the Academy of New England Journalists, the Associated Press Award for Best Political Reporting, the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Natural Resources Council of Maine and the Outdoor Life Award for Environmental Writing, presented by President Jimmy Carter.
Cole died in Brunswick, Maine, on 8 January 2003 at the age of 79.
- In Maine: 'of All the Winds That Blow I Like the Northwest Best ...',(1974) reissued with new essays in 2001
- From the Ground Up,(1976) detailed plans for ecologically friendly home projects, written in cooperation with the Shelter Institute in Bath
- Striper: The Story of Fish and Man, (1978/1989)
- Sun Reflections: Images for the New Solar Age (1981)
- Breaking New Ground(1986) with Charles Wing, about house building
- Fishing Came First: A Memoir(1989/1991/1997)
- Tarpon Quest(1991/1998)
- Claremont Hotel, Southwest Harbor, Maine: A Landmark's Narrative History (1994)
- Away All Boats: A Personal Guide for the Small-Boat Owner (1994)
- Life List: Remembering the Birds of My Years(1997)
- Maine Trivia(1998)
- Fly Fishing for Saltwater's Finest: How to Catch the 10 Best Sport Fish at Premier Inshore Sites (2000)with Brad Burns