Jakeman, Adelbert ( - )
Adelbert Jakeman was born in Chelsea, MA, and summered in Alfred and Ocean Park (Old Orchard Beach), ME. He graduated from Bates College and Boston University and taught for many years in Rumford, ME, and Lexington and Whitefield MA. He retired to Ocean Park.
In addition to writing and publishing poetry, he made a study of New England covered bridges and published a book of those remaining in Connecticut and Massachusetts and later, another devoted to those in Maine. He contributed to several magazines and journals and, in 1940, co-founded the Maine Writers' Conference held at Ocean Park.
- Old Covered Bridges: The Story of Covered Bridges in General; With a Description of the Remaining Bridges in Massachusetts and Connecticut (1935)
- Ritual: And Other Poems (1940)
- Country Christmas: And Other Poems 91947)
- Sea Haven, Selected Poems (1950)
- The Story of Ocean Park, An Informal Seventy-Fifth Anniversary History, 1881-1956 (1956)
- Island Visit; Poems (1963)
- Maine: 1820-1970: new and Selected Poems (1970)
- Sand Castle; [Poems] (1974)
- Old Covered Bridges of Maine (1980)
- Centennial History of Ocean Park, Maine, 1881-1981 (1981)