Hankins, John (1905 - 1996)
Genre: Non-Fiction - Scholarly, Poetry
Mr. Hankins received a doctorate in English from Yale University, New Haven, Conn., in 1929. Mr. Hankins was a professor of English at the Univesity of Kansas from 1930 to 1956. He won a Guggenheim Fellowship for 1948 to 1949 to Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., and was a Fulbright Scholar from 1953 to 1954 at the University of Leyden, Netherlands.
He was the chair of the English department at the University of Maine, Orono, from 1956 to 1965.
- The Life and Works of George Turbervile (1940)
- Shakespeare's Derived Imagery (1953)
- Lincoln the Writer, the Development of His Literary Style (with Herbert Joseph Edwards) (1962)
- Poems (1970)
- Source and Meaning in Spenser's Allegory: A Study of the Faerie Queene (1971)
- A Maine Album: Poems (1982)