Bachelder, Peter ( - )
Native Mainer Peter Dow Bachelder grew up on the Maine coast and lives in Ellsworth, ME. He graduated from the University of Maine (Orono), worked for a time for the U.S. Weather Bureau, then spent 30 years as Director of Information Services for the Maine Publicity Bureau. For several years he wrote a column about shipwrecks and lighthouses for the Portland Evening Express. He has written or co-written several books about Maine lighthouses, the Maine coast and related subjects.
- Lighthouses of Casco Bay (1975)
- Lighthouses and Lightships of Casco Bay (1995)
- Shipwrecks and Maritime Disasters of the Maine Coast (1997)
- The Great Steel Pier: an Illustrated History of the Old Orchard Beach Pier (1998)
- Four Short Blasts : The Gale Of 1898 And The Loss Of The Steamer Portland with Mason Philip Smith (1998)
- Steam To The Summit : The Green Mountain Railway Bar Harbor's Remarkable Cog Railroad (2005)