Abbott, John (1805 - 1877)
John S. C. Abbott, brother of Jacob Abbott, was born in Brunswick, ME. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1825 and attended Andover Theological Seminary. He preached in Massachusetts from 1830 until 1844 when he retired and turned his attention to literature. He was primarily an author of popular histories and books on Christian ethics.
He died in Connecticut in 1877.
- The Mother At Home; Or, The Principles Of Maternal Duty Familiarly Illustrated (1833)
- History of Madame Roland (1850)
- History of Josephine 1851)
- History of Napoleon Bonaparte (1855)
- The French Revolution Of 1789: As Viewed In The Light Of Republican Institutions (1859)
- History of Maria Antoinette (1860)
- The history of the Civil War in America... (1863-1866)
- Daniel Boone: Pioneer of Kentucky (1872)
- David Crockett: His Life and Adventures (1874)