Robert E. Peary, 1856 – 1920
Courtesy of The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum, Bowdoin College
- Known For: Explorer; Claimed to be first to reach geographic North Pole
- Maine Connection: Raised in Portland, Maine; graduated from Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
Selected Books by Robert E. Peary
- The North Pole, Its Discovery in 1909 Under the Auspices of the Peary Arctic Club by Robert E. Peary, 1910.
- Northward Over the “Great Ice”: a Narrative of Live and Work Along the Shores and Upon the Interior Ice-Cap of Northern Greenland in the Years 1886 and 1891-1897 by Robert E. Peary, c1898.
Selected books about Robert E. Peary
- True North: Peary, Cook, and the Race to the Pole by Bruce Henderson, c2005.
- Icemen by Mick Conefrey, c1998.
- Cook & Peary: the Polar Controversy, Resolved by Robert M. Bryce, c1997.
- Robert E. Peary and the fight for the North Pole by Madelyn Klein Anderson, c1992.
- Peary: The Explorer and the Man; Based on his Personal Papers by John Edwards Weems, 1967.
Selected Books for Young Adults and Children
- The Race for the North Pole and Robert Peary in World History by Karen Clemens Warrick, c2003.
- Robert Peary and the Quest for the North Pole by Christopher Dwyer, c2000.