Dorothea Dix, 1802 – 1887
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, LC-USZ62-9797
- Known For: Advocate for the mentally ill; Civil War nurse
- Maine Connection: Born in Hampden, Maine and spent early years there
- Dorothea Dix: Advocate for Mental Health Care by Margaret Muckenhoupt, c2003.
- Dorothea Dix: New England Reformer, by Thomas J. Brown, 1998.
- Voice for the Mad: the Life of Dorothea Dix by David Gollaher, c1995.
- Life of Dorothea Lynde Dix by Francis Tiffany, 1992.
- The Lady and the President: the Letters of Dorothea Dix & Millard Fillmore by Charles M. Snyder, c1975.
Selected Books for Young Adults and Children
- Dorothea Dix: Advocate for Mental Health Care by Margaret Muckenhoupt, c2003. -Dorothea Dix: Crusader for the Mentally Ill by Amy Paulson Herstek, c2001.