Rachel Carson, 1907 - 1964
Rachel Carson by the Sea, Summer 1954. Photo courtesy of Freeman Family Collection
- Known For: Biologist, author, ecologist
- Maine Connection: From 1952, Rachel Carson spent her summers at Southport Island, Maine, where she studied the coast. A Fish and Wildlife Service National Wildlife Refuge (Wells, Maine) was renamed the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge in 1969.
Selected Books by Rachel Carson
- The Sense of Wonder, 1965.
- Silent Spring, 1962.
- The Edge of the Sea, 1955.
- The Sea Around Us, 1951.
Selected Books about Rachel Carson
- The Gentle Subversive: Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, and the Rise of the Environmental Movement by Mark Lytle, 2007.
- Rachel Carson: a twentieth-century life by Ellen Levine, 2007.
- Rachel Carson: a biography by Arlene Rodda Quaratiello, 2004.
Selected Books for Young Adults and Children
- Rachel Carson: a Twentieth-Century Live by Ellen Levine, 2007.
- Rachel Carson: Ecologist and Activist by Mary Gow, c2005.
- Rachel Carson: Writer and Biologist by Melissa Stewart, c2001.