Surplus Lines

The Maine Bureau of Insurance provides on this page all of the information necessary to apply for Surplus Lines eligibility, complete annual reporting requirements or change the status of eligibility (redomestication, name change, merger, etc).  If you have questions or are unable to find what you are looking for, please visit our contact us page.

Application Information

Service of Process

An Agent for receiving Service of Process is required to be appointed by US domiciled surplus lines insurers and non-US domiciled (alien) insurers and must be a Maine resident agent.

Medical Malpractice Insurers - RMAP Instructions

Information for Port of Entry

An alien insurer that has been authorized by the superintendent to use the State as its port of entry for the transaction of business in the United States is considered a domestic insurer to the extent provided in the statute. A rule has also been established that provides additional information.

Premium Taxes - Surplus Lines Brokers/Producers

Maine Revenue Services is the state agency responsible for the processing of premium tax returns and related information for Surplus Lines premium reporting, as well as self-procured taxes.

Status Change Forms (Name Changes, Mergers, Redomestications, etc.)

Annual Data Reporting Requirements

    Requesting Confidential Treatment of Documents

    Statutory Requirements

    The documents on this page are also available in hard copy by contacting the Bureau.