The following are some external links to insurance related web sites that you may find helpful for general insurance information. These links are purely for informational purposes. The department (or, the State of Maine) does not vouch for the contents.
- How Does My Insurance Company Rate? - Insurance companies are rated based on their financial strength and stability. Before you buy, check out the insurance company’s financial rating
- Maine Insurance Guaranty Association - pays covered claims as authorized by the Maine Insurance Guaranty Act, 24-A M.R.S. § 4431, et seq. when an insurance company becomes insolvent. MIGA is not an insurance company.
- Maine Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association - In the event that a member insurer is found to be insolvent the guaranty association provides protection (up to the limits spelled out in the Act) to Maine residents who are holders of life and health insurance policies and individual annuities with the insolvent insurer.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Consumer Information and Tools – Includes a searchable a national database for company information, complaints and financial statements and an on-line fraud reporting system.
- System for Electronic Rate and Form Filings (SERFF) -- Insurance product filings (rate, rule, and forms) filed with the Maine Bureau of Insurance are available to the public through the SERFF Filing Access website.
- US Department of Labor – for questions about your work-related benefits and rights
Emergency Management/Disaster Preparedness
- Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA)
- FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program
- Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA)
- Maine Floodplain Management Program
- Compare Maine - Compare the costs and quality of healthcare procedures.
- CoverME.gov – Maine's State Based Marketplace, is where individuals and families can shop for and enroll in health and dental insurance and apply for financial help to lower monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs; and those who qualify will automatically be directed to free or low cost MaineCare coverage.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) – This US Department of Health and Human Services website offers information about your rights under HIPAA and provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the HIPAA Rules.
- Maine Breast and Cervical Health Program (MBCHP) - Provides help paying for preventative breast and cervical cancer screenings as well as limited diagnostic services for women that qualify.
- MaineCare (Medicaid) – Maine Department of Health and Human Services information about MaineCare services.
- Maine Guaranteed Access Reinsurance Association (MGARA)
- MaineRx - Free Statewide Prescription Assistance Program.
- Medical Library Association Consumer and Patient Health Information – Provides a list of the “Top 100 Health Websites You Can Trust.”
- National Committee for Quality Assurance Health Plan Report Card -- An interactive tool designed to help you find the health plan that's right for you.
- NeedyMeds.com – A source of information for people who need help with the cost of medicine and other healthcare expenses.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services -- Mental Health and Addiction Insurance Help
- Medicare – – The federal Medicare website, where you can enroll in coverage and get the information you need about benefits, costs, and more, including
- Medicare State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) – this is a Maine Department of Health and Human Services webpage that may be helpful If you have Medicare insurance, or expect to have it soon, you may have questions or need help to understand your Medicare benefits.
Insurance Carriers and Other Regulated Entities
- Maine Annual Data Reporting Requirements - (for Insurance Companies)
- Annual Statement Filing Instructions - Instructions and checklists for filing the annual and quarterly financial statement and state required reports
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) -- Organization of insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and the five U.S. territories, providing a forum for the development of uniform policy.
Individuals & Business Entities
Producers, Agencies, Adjusters, Consultants etc.
- CoverME.gov – Maine’s State Based Marketplace -- training and certification information for brokers and Maine Enrollment Assisters.
- Pearson Vue -- Provider of comprehensive, technology based testing and assessment services
- National Flood Insurance Program -- FEMA website - information and resources for insurance professionals
- National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) -- Premier public-private partnership supporting the work of the states and the NAIC in re-engineering, streamlining and making uniform the insurance producer licensing process
- The Institutes Knowledge Group -- Independent, nonprofit organizations offering educational programs and professional certification to people in all segments of the property and liability insurance business
- The Institutes CPCU Society -- A community of credentialed property and casualty insurance professionals who promote excellence through ethical behavior and continuing education
- Insurance Accounting & Systems Association (IASA) -- Non-profit, education association that strives to enhance the knowledge of insurance industry professionals
- Insurance Information Exchange -- Provider of information reports to insurance professionals and employers
- State Insurance Department Directory for the 50 States (NAIC)
- System for Electronic Rate and Form Filings (SERFF) -- Provides a cost-effective method of handling insurance policy rate and form filings between regulators and insurance companies
State of Maine Links