Home → For Libraries → Library Jobs → A Maine Job
- Library: William Fogg Library
- Town: Eliot
- Library Type: Public
- Position Type: Non-MLS
- Deadline: Open until a suitable candidate is found
Description, How to Apply, and Contact:
William Fogg Public Library Director
Educational Requirements: A Master's degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university is strongly preferred. A Bachelor's degree plus substantial work experience in a management position at a public library may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
Work Experience Requirements: At least five (5) years of progressively responsible library experience, including at least three (3) years of supervisory experience, preferably in a public library setting.
The Director serves under the supervision of the Library Board of Trustees. The Director is responsible for the functioning of the library, with specific responsibilities, including overseeing staffing, budgeting, and programming, recommending policy adjustments to the Trustees, and working cooperatively within the community to further the Library's programs and services and meet community needs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages and supervises library operations to achieve goals with available resources.
- Consistent with applicable laws, regulations and policies, the Director exercises control over the hiring, firing, discipline and scheduling of the employees of the library, and makes salary recommendations to the Trustees; all final decisions are subject to the approval of the Trustees.
- The Director exercises administrative direction over Library employees and other support staff, including volunteers, contractors and seasonal personnel, and provides effective training and direction to staff to assure the quality of public service.
- The Director assures the fiscal soundness of Library operations and works with the Trustees on establishing budget guidelines and expenditures.
- The Director directs the operation, maintenance and improvement of the Library's physical facilities and equipment, and works with the Trustees to develop a 10-year plan, which is reviewed annually.
- The Director works with the Trustees to coordinate Library development and fundraising.
- The Director performs effective collection and programming management in order to provide materials and programs that are appropriate for the needs and interests of the Library patrons and community. Information on collection development and programs is shared with the Trustees.
Communication & Data
- The Director prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for internal and external decision-making, and for regulatory and fiscal purposes.
- With support from staff, the Director performs effective community relations and promotes library programs through community presentations and other means.
- The Director provides professional advice on library matters to the Trustees.
Community & Collaboration
- The Director coordinates Library programs with area educational, recreational and work programs, and with outside organizations, such as schools, historical societies, and other community-based groups.
- The Director maintains the Library liaison with other nonprofit organizations, as well as with Federal, state and local officials.
Policy and Program Development
- The Director reviews program areas, public service policies and personnel policies, and makes recommendations to the Trustees.
- The Director implements changes or new programs to meet the library needs of the community.
- The Director provides leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range library plans.
Please contact me via email if you have any questions: email@example.com or call me at (207) 439-9313 -there is also an answering machine at this number.
Salary: $50,000 to $55,000
Source: 2023-01-06,online form