Clifford, Harold (1893 - 1987)
Genre: Children's Literature, Non-Fiction
Harold Clifford was born in Winthrop and received his B.A. from Bates College. He was principal of Alfred High School from 1912-13 and 1916-17 and Superintendent of schools, including those in the Boothbay area, from 1917 to 1956.
The community playground in Boothbay is named for Clifford, as is the Boothbay Region High School's annual book award. Clifford wrote the history of the Boothbay Harbor Rotary Club from its inception in the 1930s to 1987, with Chip Griffin completing the history to 1999; the history is dedicated to Clifford in appreciation "of the vibrant tone of both his piano playing and his words."
Clifford wrote history books for adults and children about Maine and New England.
Books for Adults
- Maine and Her People (1958)
- Boothbay Region 1906 to 1960 (1961)
- You and Your Job in Maine (1964)
- Charlie York: Maine Coast Fisherman (1974)
- America, My Home Then and Now (1939)
- Canada, My Neighbor (1944)
- Yesterday in America (1949)
- American Leaders (1953)
- Exploring New England (1961)
- Sea Horse: A Shetland Pony Comes to Monhegan (1987)
- Clear Sailing (1987).