Payson, Harold (1928 - 2011)
Harold H. "Dynamite" Payson was born in Rockland, ME and received his nickname from one of his older sister's boyfriends who said he kept "popping up like a stick of dynamite." He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII, then returned to Maine, worked as a fisherman and in several boat yards, then began building boats and writing in his shop, built by he and his father in 1952.
He had a long relationship with WoodenBoat magazine which published several of his books on boat building and sharpening tools. His books became the "go to" books for beginner boat builders.
He lived for many years in South Thomaston, ME and died in 2011.
- Instant Boats (1979)
- How to Build the Gloucester Light Dory (1982)
- Go Build Your Own Boat! (1983)
- Keep the Cutting Edge: Setting and Sharpening Hand and Power Saws (1983)
- Build the New Instant Boats (1984)
- Build the Instant Catboat (1986)
- Boat Modeling the Easy Way: A Scratch Builder's Guide (1993)
- The Dory Model Book (1997)