Hormell, Orren (1879 - 1975)
Genre: Non-Fiction, Non-Fiction - Scholarly
Orren C.Hormell was a native of Wingate, IN and received his A.B. from Indiana State University. He also earned two masters degrees, one from Indiana and one from Harvard, where he also earned his Ph.D. (1921). He became a member of the faculty at Bowdoin in 1911 where he founded the Bureau of Municipal Research and remained for 40 years, retiring as the DeAlva Stanwood Alexander Professor of Government.
He was an early advocate of the town manager form of government and was an adviser on the development of town and city charters all over New England.
In addition to the books he wrote, he also contributed to Cyclopedia of American Government, Encyclopedia of Social Science, American Year Book, American City, National Municipal Review and Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.
- Guide to the Study of the Town, City, County, State and Nation (1915)
- Municipal Accounting and Reporting: An Address Before the Maine State Board of Trade at Lewiston, Maine March 11, 1915 (1915)
- Sources of Municipal Revenue in Maine (1918)
- The Direct Primary: With Special Reference to the State of Maine (1922)
- Essentials of Government: A Study Program Prepared for the Auburn Witenagemote 91925)
- Cost of Primaries and Elections in Maine, With special Reference to the Year 1924 (1925)
- History of the Direct Primary in the State of Maine (1926)
- Maine Public Utilities (1927)
- Corrupt Practices Legislation in Maine and How it Works (1929)
- Maine Towns (1932)
- Governmental Control of Power Utilities in the New England States (1933)
- Personnel Problems in Maine (1936)
- Zoning Manual for Maine Towns (1940)
- City Manager Governmnet in Portland, Maine
- The Manager Plan for Maine Municipalities (with Lawrence Lee Pelletier) (1949)
- Planning and Zoning for Maine Municipalities (1955)