Weinberger, (Rebecca) Jane (1918 - 2009)
Genre: Children's Literature, Non-Fiction
Rebecca Jane Dalton Weinberger was a native Mainer, born in Milford, ME. She attended the University of Maine and graduated from the Somerville Hospital School of Nursing in Somerville, MA. She became an Army nurse and met her husband, future Defense Secretary (under President Ronald Reagan) Caspar Weinberger, on a troop ship on the way the Australia during WWII.
She was an author and publisher -- her publishing house was called Windswept Press, named for the Weinberger's home on Mount Desert Island, ME -- publishing first her own books, then expanding to publish the works of other authors.
She died in 2009 in Bar Harbor, ME.
- That's What Counts! (1983)
- VIM, a Very Important Mouse (1984)
- Fanny and Sarah (1984)
- Wee Peter Puffin (1984)
- Lemon Drop (1985)
- Tabitha Jones (1985)
- Kiltie, the Laird of Kiltarnin (1985)
Books for Adults
- As Ever: a Selection of Letters from the Voluminous Correspondence of Jane Weinberger, 1970-1990 (1991)
- Canned Plums and Other Vicissitudes of Life: Being the Reminiscences of Several Old Women who Really had Ought to Know Better than to Commit Anything to Print (1999)
- Experience the Journey: Oh, Those Golden Years (2003)