Chester Greenwood, 1858 - 1937
United State Patent Office, Chester Greenwood, of Farmington, Maine for earmuffs, 1877
- Known For: Inventor – earmuffs, steel-toothed rake, whistling teakettle, automobile shock absorbers, etc.; Named by the Smithsonian Institution as one of America’s top 15 inventors
- Maine Connection: Born in Farmington, Maine, now the "Earmuff Capital of the World" because of Greenwood's invention
- Chester, More than Earmuffs: a Brief History of Chester Greenwood by Nancy Porter, 2007.
- Brainstorm!: the Stories of Twenty American Kid Inventors by Tom Tucker, 1995.
- Chester Greenwood and the Invention of the Earmuff (collection of photocopies of news articles) by the Maine State Library.
- About.com: Inventors - Chester Greenwood - Earmuffs
- Chester Greenwood Day Proclamation [PDF, 7.30 KB] This file requires the free Adobe Reader.
- The Great Idea Finder: Earmuffs