Position Type: Professional
Library Type: Special
This is professional services work of a managerial nature in directing and overseeing the activities of a major division of the Maine State Library. Responsibilities include managing all division operations, including personnel and budget administration, long-range planning, developing goals and objectives, and coordinating and implementing programs and services. Supervision is exercised over a large staff of professional, technical, and clerical employees. Work is performed under administrative direction.
(A position may not be assigned all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all the duties that may be assigned).
- Develops division goals and objectives in order to provide program direction.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and controls division operations in order to ensure program objectives are attained and are congruent with overall library goals.
- Determines and requests library staff, material, and equipment in order to assist in the formulation and justification of agency budgetary requests and work plans.
- Develops performance evaluation standards and procedures in order to provide work performance information to subordinate staff and ensure complete and objective appraisals.
- Develops and recommends new and revised laws, rules, policies, and procedures in order to respond to changes in program needs, objectives, and priorities and improve effectiveness of division operations.
- Advises local and staff librarians in order to provide assistance in development of effective statewide library services.
- Represents the State Library at national, state, and local conferences and meetings in order to explain and promote library services.
- Writes informational material in order to promote public awareness of Maine State Library programs.
- Confers and corresponds with staffs of all types of libraries in order to develop cooperative resource sharing programs.
- Compiles and analyzes data in order to provide statistical information regarding libraries and library services in Maine.
- Coordinates library programs that cross local library, district, and state lines in order to provide statewide library services.
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities Required:
(These are required to successfully perform the work assigned).
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, materials, practices, and procedures, including library automation.
- Knowledge of state budgeting procedures.
- Knowledge of the legislative process.
- Knowledge of modern management principles, practices, and techniques.
- Ability to direct and coordinate multiple programs.
- Ability to plan, assign, and coordinate the work of a large staff.
- Ability to plan, develop, and implement policies, goals, and objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. - Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
(Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
A Masters Degree in Library Science and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in professional library work which includes at least two (2) years in an administrative and/or supervisory capacity. A six (6) year combination of directly related education and/or experience may be substituted for the Masters Degree requirement.
Licensing/Registration/Certification Requirements: (These must be met by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).
(This must be successfully completed by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).
Will consist of a numerical evaluation of Training and Experience (100%).