Continuing Education - Learning Opportunities
Narrated Powerpoint Presentations (PPT) by Stephanie Zurinski, Central Maine Library Consultant. The PDF files below require the free Adobe Reader.
- Introduction to MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 129 KB]
- Navigating MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 159 KB]
- Searching MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 221 KB]
- Hobbies & Crafts via MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 339 KB]
- Maine Resources in Marvel; slides & notes [PDF1.34 MB]
- Encyclopedia Britannica; slides & notes [PDF, 307 KB]
- NoveList: What Should I Read Next?; slides & notes [PDF, 209 KB]
- Using LearningExpress via the Information Commons; slides & notes [PDF, 711 KB]
- Looking for Information: EBSCOHost; slides & notes [PDF, 249 KB]
- 23MobileThings - self directed online program about mobile technologies
- Customize this MARVELous guide for your own library! Download MARVEL guide [Word,559 KB]; PDF version [PDF, 601 KB]
- EBSCO and NoveList Tutorials and Support.
- Gale's Event Calendar online. This allows libraries to see when various webinars are being held and the subject matter being covered. Click on the free product previews or training webinars.
- Proquest training information
- Britannica training sessions
- Reminder to libraries about MARVEL! logins
- Libraries! Do NOT create generic/group logins to the MARVEL! resources
- Due to the license agreements for the statewide subscription to the databases, usernames and passwords for accessing these databases are to be created for individual, Maine State Resident usage only.
- Patrons need their own username and password for their own MARVEL account.
Stipends to put towards continuing education are available from the district offices.
Unlimited Free Online Courses and Webinars from WebJunction
Requirement for Courses: Must be a sponsored WebJunction member; Request a sponsored course access account from Maine State Library for the self paced courses at WebJunction Maine. Be sure to select "Maine" as your state partners.
- Preview WebJunction Course Catalog – Unlimited number of free courses made possible by the Maine State Library. Only sponsored WebJunction Maine members may view the actual catalog web page and sign up for courses.
- Upcoming Webinars - Check the Maine Library Community calendar for dates, descriptions and registration
- Archived WebJunction Webinars - in the catalog under Subject Area: Archived Webinars - many excellent archived webinars!
Training videos developed by the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services, a division of ALA.There are 24 videos on RDA as well as videos on cataloging, collections, preservation and institutional repositories. The videos run from 1 hour to 1.5hrs.
OneSearch (Summon) Webinar player will set up automatically and start to play the presentation.
- Check out recent books in Maine State Library's professional collection
Other Learning Opportunities
- Online Library Education The free, online Alternative Basic Library Education (ABLE) Program provides basic library knowledge and skills for staff members who have no formal education in library science.
- Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science Fee-based online update-your-skills courses are available in addition to the online degree program.
- GFC Global Learning – offers free, beginning computer courses and tutorials. (Office, Internet, Computer basics,etc.)
- Google Web Search - Classroom Lessons and Resources
- Master lesson presentations by Google