Position Type: Professional
Library Type: Special
This is professional services work of a supervisory nature in directing and overseeing a section of the Maine State Library. Responsibilities include administering section operations, establishing section goals and objectives, directing staff activities, preparing work plans, preparing and monitoring section budget, preparing reports, and providing technical librarian assistance. Supervision is exercised over a staff of professional, technical, and clerical employees. Work is performed under limited supervision.
(A position may not be assigned all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all the duties that may be assigned).
- Administers assigned programs in order to ensure the best use of available resources in attaining established goals.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, and directs the work activities of subordinate staff in order to attain unit goals and ensure the consistent application of library policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Confers with, evaluates, and counsels subordinate staff in order to exchange information; explain work policies, procedures, and guidelines; and solve work-related problems.
- Coordinates unit activities with other library units in order to ensure established standards are met.
- Writes reports in order to provide information on section activities.
- Consults with professional librarians, school officials, and others in order to provide technical assistance and advise.
- Recommends, coordinates, and administers long range plans and policies in order to provide for updated and improved library services.
- Writes news releases and correspondence and encourages library use in order to publicize library services.
KNowledges, Skills, and Abilities Required:
(These are required to successfully perform the work assigned).
- Knowledge of principles, methods, technology, materials, and practices associated with library operations.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations pertaining to library services and programs.
- Knowledge of Maine State Library policies, programs, and procedures.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and direct the work of professional and clerical subordinates.
- Ability to explain library policies, programs, objectives, and facilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan and develop policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Ability to evaluate work programs and develop budget proposals.
- Ability to prepare reports.
(Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
A Masters Degree in Library Science and two (2) years experience in professional library work including one (1) year of experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity -OR- an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Licensing/Registration/Certification Requirements: (These must be met by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).
(This must be successfully completed by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).