Position Type: Professional
Library Type: Special
This is professional services work in cataloging and classifying books, periodicals, and documents, and performing library reference work. Work includes providing information to library users and assisting them in locating reference materials. Work may involve supervision of a specialized unit within the library. Work is performed under limited supervision.
(A position may not be assigned all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all the duties that may be assigned).
- Catalogs, classifies, and indexes books, documents, periodicals, and other printed matter in order to properly place them in the various library collections.
- Researches and summarizes topics in order to provide information to library users.
- Guides library patrons in order to assist them in finding information and in using the library.
- Writes bibliographies in order to show resources of the library in specified fields.
- Selects books and materials on various subjects in order to respond to requests and to add to the library's collection.
- Decides which materials have become obsolete and recommends removal from the collection in order to update and maintain collection.
- Plans and promotes library orientation activities such as book displays, promotional materials, instructional tours, workshops, and brochures in order to explain and promote library programs and services.
- Compiles information on cards in order to maintain and update the card catalog and prepare cross references.
Knowledges Skills, and Abilities Required
(These are required to successfully perform the work assigned).
- Knowledge of professional library techniques, systems, procedures, and tools.
- Knowledge of major library classification systems and Anglo-American cataloging rules.
- Knowledge of on-line computerized systems for cataloging, bibliographical research, and monitoring the inter-library loan system.
- Knowledge of collection development and maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of reference materials and techniques.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to use and explain the use of catalogs, guides, indexes, bibliographies, and other library materials.
- Ability to evaluate library materials for purchase or rental and to supervise selection activities.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of others.
- Ability to analyze library facility needs and to recommend appropriate action.
- Ability to ascertain reference and informational needs of patrons and to respond effectively.
- Ability to perform original cataloging and classification of library materials.
- Ability to use a variety of modern office and audio-visual equipment.
(Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
A Bachelors Degree in Library Science and two (2) years experience in professional library work -OR- an acceptable equivalent combination of related experience and/or training.
(These must be met by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).
(This must be successfully completed by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).