Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
This position is responsible for staffing the Circulation, Children’s and Reference areas of the Library as needed. Hours are Monday through Friday, at 35-40 hours per week, including some evenings and Saturdays. This is a paraprofessional position requiring library experience or applicable skills. In particular, the Library Assistant must have experience providing reference services or strong skills applicable to reference work. Required for this job are excellent customer service skills and the ability to perform duties effectively.
- Greets and assists Library users in the Circulation, Reference and Children’s areas of the Library, employing effective customer service skills.
- Provides effective service to Library users when staffing the Circulation Desk.
- Provides effective Reference service to Library users when staffing the Reference Desk.
- Provides effective service to Library users when staffing the Children’s area.
- Responsible for Library opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Informs Library users of rules conduct as necessary, and enforces those rules when appropriate.
- Manages the book sale.
- Maintains Library website.
- Maintains and orders tax forms.
- Staffs the Circulation Desk as needed, greeting and assisting Library users at the Circulation Desk employing effective customer service skills.
- Performs all Circulation Desk functions, including: Checks in, checks out and renewals of Library materials; informs Library users of the status of their Library records; processes applications for, and issues, new Library cards; assists Library users in locating and retrieving Library materials; fields requests for new acquisitions and Interlibrary Loans; assists Library users in making photocopies; receives phone calls, and assists or transfers callers as necessary; notifies Library users of materials being held for them; shelves Library materials.
- Staffs the Children’s Room greeting Children’s Room users and assisting them with accessing all the resources of the Room, including: assisting with reference questions, locating appropriate materials, assisting with the use of the online catalog, assisting with the use of the Children’s Room computer, referring users to programming and resources that Children’s Services offer.
- Assists with the maintenance of the Children’s Room, including shelving and organizing books and other materials as directed by the Head of Children’s Services.
- Staffs the Reference Desk as needed.
- Greets and assists Library users in the Reference area, including: assisting with use of the online catalog; assisting with determining and locating information and materials such as reference and non-fiction books, electronic (online) resources, periodicals and microform; assisting with the use of equipment such as Internet access computers, printers and microform reader/printers; fielding interlibrary loan requests; recording usage statistics; assisting telephone callers with their reference questions and other needs.
- Performs or assists in Library opening and closing procedures.
- Assists in seeing that Library rules of conduct are observed by asking Library users to observe rules of conduct that are not being followed, and by informing Library administration when necessary.
- De-news books as requested by the Assistant Director.
- Performs other duties as requested by the Director and Assistant Director.
- Prepares gift books for addition to collection or for book sale.
- Maintains the book sale.
- Updates library website for accuracy with current information.
- Orders and maintains tax forms for the public.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Library experience is preferred or applicable skills. In particular the skills needed to provide reference services.
- Library skills sufficient to accomplish the duties listed above, “transferable” skills, or the ability to learn those skills. In particular, the ability to learn the use of the Dewey classification system, and other Library procedures is required.
- Computer skills sufficient to perform the functions of the Library’s automated Library system, particularly the online catalog and circulation functions.
- Computer skills sufficient to provide reference services in the Reference area.
- Excellent customer service skills are essential.