Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
This position is responsible for instituting and receiving orders of new library materials, assisting with cataloging materials and maintaining the Library's automated card catalog and Shelf List. In addition, the LA – Cataloger staffs the Circulation area and Children's Room on an interim basis as necessary.
- Initiates and receives orders of new library materials, notably books.
- Performs cataloging functions in a manner consistent with accepted professional library practice, under the direction of the Assistant Director.
- Maintains the library's on-line and card cataloging, including the Shelf List.
- Staffs the Circulation and Children's areas, as needed.
- Initiates orders for new books and other library materials.
- Receives new materials, checking condition and matching bills with invoices.
- Obtains cataloging data for new materials from a variety of sources including: book vendors; the Maine State Library; bibliographic databases; and the Assistant Director.
- Inputs cataloging data into the Library's automated system either by importing computerized files or manually, assuring the accuracy of all records.
- Creates original cataloging elements, such as Cutter numbers, as necessary
- Processes materials for circulation including creating and/or affixing appropriate spine, bar code and date due labels.
- Staffs the Circulation and Children’s area on an interim basis, as necessary, performing the functions associated with those areas.
- Keeps statistics of Library materials added or withdrawn.
- Assists with related Library tasks, as required
- High School diploma.
- Keyboarding skills.
- Computer skills including: word processing; inputting and manipulating data in an automated library system; use of library automated system circulation and public catalog functions.
- Cataloging/Library skills necessary to create and maintain cataloging in a manner consistent with professional library practice, including the ability to create and maintain MARC records. This may include creating and maintaining both paper and on-line records.
- Library and organization skill necessary to order, receive and maintain materials for the library collections.
- Demonstrated excellent public relations ability with all ages is required.