Assistant Library Director
Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
The Assistant Librarian is in a supervisory position over the circulation desk and over the entire library during the absences of the Director. This employee also trains and supervises part-time personnel and volunteers.
Circulation service work includes the following:
- supervises the circulation desk, and staff or volunteers working in the library.
- trains new staff and/or volunteers on duties at the circulation desk and customer service policy.
- supervises the circulation of library materials, including new patron registration, reserve books, processing over-dues, and processing incoming books and 4. supervises the shelving of library materials;
- is responsible for the interlibrary loan; is responsible for choosing and preparing books for the bindery.
- supervises patron usage of Internet and computer stations and daily maintenance (i.e. clean-up of temporary files, cookies, history, notepaper & pencils at each station).
- performs other related work as required.
- provides patrons with directional and procedural assistance, either in locating materials here or from other libraries or with computers, copy or fax machines;
- provides patrons with reference assistance when necessary;
- oversees the daily circulation of materials, interlibrary loan program and the audiovisual materials;
- enters new patrons in the computer and processes new library cards for them;
- oversees the return of library materials to their proper location
- assists in collection development;
- enters new materials in the computer and edits records to comply with our collection, when necessary;
- oversees cabinet displays and seasonal decorations throughout library;
- attends meetings and maintains professional development regarding library functions;
- performs related work as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- knowledge of and adherence to library policies.
- an evolving knowledge of the professional practices, procedures, and techniques of library science;
- working knowledge of circulation services and procedures; -maintains and upgrades computer skills as needed in order to help patrons with basic computer skills and programs.
- ability to instruct and train nonprofessional library staff in library methods and procedures;
- ability to keep and maintain a variety of library records and statistics;
- ability to exercise tact, initiative and independent judgment;
- ability to perform various clerical and computer functions;
- ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- willingness to work evenings and Saturdays.
Desirable Training and Experience:
- minimum high school diploma, college or work experience preferred;
- one to three years previous circulation desk or related work experience.